When you see a plate of grapes can you eat a few now and then a few later, knowing that there will be plenty of grapes for you later? Or do you gorge yourself with as many as you can eat, fearful that none will be available later? Think of anything that you feel needs to be consumed right away for fear of not enough as scarcity. Advertisers use that threat of scarcity to entice us to buy right now. Buy now only one left! The feeling of scarcity is so prevalent that we feel trapped between what is real scarcity and made up scarcity especially when so much “fake news” is prevalent.
If you could wait and eat just a few grapes now, knowing there will be plenty later, you are blessed with an abundance mindset. When you are handed a problem do you want to blame others? Are you willing to fully face the problem, look at the possibilities and in essence, make lemonade out of lemons? Abundance is not just about having enough money but feeling at peace and content with all areas of your life.
What are the Characteristics of an Abundance Mindset?
- Ability to make lemonade out of lemons. No matter what happened in the past, you are not bound by the past. You can choose different choices. You can have different results.
- Appreciation! Appreciates others, ourselves and the world around us. When we focus on what we appreciate instead of focusing on what is going wrong, what we appreciate grows.
- Collaboration not competition. Celebrates others successes. A key of the abundance mindset is collaboration, not competition. When we focus on win-win, we celebrate others success. We are also willing to celebrate our successes.
- Valuing connection.You feel connected and at one with others and the world. With an abundance mindset, the world becomes your ally, not your enemy. What could you accomplish if you believed the world was your ally?
- Focus on the present moment. Makes the most of today, right now instead of reliving the past or worrying about the future.
- Enjoys wonder. Sees opportunities, options, and possibilities instead of focusing on the negative.
- Lives above the line. When you come from a place of abundance, you take 100% responsibility for what you create in your life and stop making excuses. Not an easy switch but well worth the effort!
Are you functioning from an abundance mindset or a scarcity mindset? My goal is to continue to spend more time in this place of abundance and to inspire and empower my clients to do the same. The first step is awareness to notice not just the stories your mind tells you but also the difference in your body when you are coming from a place of scarcity or abundance.
Coming from a place of perfectionism or people pleasing, we may even realize that unconsciously we believe that abundance is for others, that we are not deserving of abundance. An abundance mindset can be scary, out of the box thinking. No limits. We like answers. We don’t like change. That may be why we find it so difficult to shift from scarcity to abundance thinking.
The bottom line of shifting to an abundance mindset is living in joy! The shift is worth it!
The key to abundance is meeting limited circumstances with unlimited thoughts.
Are You Ready for a Complimentary Coaching Consultation?
See How Midlife Coaching Can Benefit You!